Summer ’84, finishing the house, visitors from Italy

unfinished log home

Finishing the log home took all summer and into the fall

Sunday, April 15, 1984—cloudy, then sunny, 15° to 40°. Sylvia and I started on our house, Dan B. came and helped. We got 41 feet of wall up. Tom, Lisa, Jim, Mary, Lee and Bob S. and Margaret visited.

Monday, April 16, 1984—partly cloudy and windy, 10° to 32°. Lots of phone calls and business. Dan helped and we got the rest of the east wall and the south wall up. Picture window is longer than planned, the header is short. Jim and Mary have a longer log and offered it to us.

Thursday, April 19, 1984—mostly cloudy all day, we got quite a bit of the plates on the logs. Allen Farmer stopped a couple of minutes. Coyotes were howling.

Monday, April 23, 1984—cloudy, then sunny, 42°. It’s light outside at 3 a.m. Geese and swans are flying. Finished rafters. Allen, Dan, Ron, and, Blake came over and we put the rest of the rafters up in an hour and a half. Jim and Mary stopped in. Everyone stayed to have supper with us.

Tuesday, April 24, 1984—Sunny, 12° to 50°. Allen helped put eight feet of roof on. George Roberson helped for a while and Sylvia and I put four feet of roof on in the evening.

Wednesday, April 25, 1984—partly cloudy, 10° to 40°. Dan helped in late morning and again in late evening. Sheeting and Purlins are on now. Swans are flying, saw a robin, bears are coming out of Dens in the mountains.

Saturday, April 28, 1984—sunny, 26° to 51°. Geese and swans still going through valley. Dan saw two griz on Nelchina River. Ermine visited us, he has turned brown. Sylvia and I put rafter blocks in and got steel ready. Dan got here with screws at 6:00 p.m. Tom helped and we got 11 sheets on the roof. Went to KROA for supper.

Monday, April 30, 1984—cloudy, 25° to 46°. Sylvia and I got some more steel on roof. Andy brought chimney liners. Dan Billman came to help but it was too windy. George R. visited. Went to KROA with Andy and got home late. Hoffmans had left milk and eggs.

Monday, May 7, 1984—sunny, 22° to 59°. Went to Wasilla and Anchorage for chimney blocks and upstairs windows. Got back at 9:30 p.m.

Thursday, May 17, 1984—sunny and breezy for a while, 24° to 60°. Went to Glennallen, put thimble in chimney and lay three blocks. Finished siding and trim on east end of house. Caribou are in velvet. A large amount of ice went down Nelchina River.

Wednesday, May 23, 1984—34° to 68°. Sunny, some wind and rain clouds towards evening. Went to KROA, had supper there and visited. Put up seven chimney blocks—almost to attic now. Laid 15 blocks for plenum at the stove in basement.

Tuesday, May 29, 1984—32° to 40s. Partly cloudy, windy afternoon. Cut out the window holes for basement. I start work every morning at 5:00 a.m. and eat breakfast at 6:00 a.m. We usually have company about 9:00 a.m., have coffee and visit a while, then back to work. Doesn’t always work out that way.

Tuesday, June 5, 1984—38° to 60°. Mostly sunny. Put up more ceiling, lowered floor down on plenum. Started raining in evening. Visited Tom to talk about land contract. Wednesday, June 6, 1984—37° to 50°. Raining this morning, cloudy all day. Put in both upstairs windows and more ceiling. Jim and Mary Odden visited in evening.

Wednesday, June 13, 1984—40° to high 50s. Put in the rest of window frames except picture window. Jim and Mary took us to Glennallen to a meeting.

Wednesday, June 27, 1984—40° to 48°. Rainy morning, cloudy all day. Still putting up pine paneling in the house.

Tuesday, July 3, 1984—40° to 50°. Cloudy and hard rain, some hail—still raining this evening. Lightning and thunder. Worked on kitchen and floor upstairs.

Friday, July 6, 1984—46° to 60s. Mostly sunny, some rain last night. Framed wall and chimney upstairs. Helped Bob and Kahren a little bit. Had a salmon supper with them.

Wednesday, July 11, 1984—40° to 58° and mostly sunny. Did more finish work in the house. Lots of visitors. Nadia called, visitors from Italy will be here tomorrow afternoon.

Thursday, July 12, 1984—44° to 55°. Mostly sunny, some rain showers at night. Went to Anchorage to meet plane. Ivo, Franca and Mac from Italy will visit for a few days. Borrowed Dan Billman’s van to bring them out here to our house.

Monday, July 16, 1984—40° to 50°. Partly cloudy, rainy and windy in the evening. Took Ivo, Mac and Franca to plane in Anchorage. Check prices on some things for the house, got back home in evening.

Tuesday, July 24, 1984—44° to 65°. Very nice day. Bob built cabinets in the house.

Sunday, July 29, 1984—45° to 55° and mostly sunny today. Put up beams in house. Started pantry shelves. Visited Lucky and Mary, Allen and kids were there.

Monday, August 13, 1984—28° to 60°. Some light frost, sunny day. Went to lawyer and did some shopping for other people and us. Light quake, 5.7. There is a fire on our side of Nelchina River near Botley Creek.

Monday, September 10, 1984—31° to 50° and sunny. James put vinyl in the house and Bob hauled gravel.

Tuesday, September 11, 1984—29° to 50° and sunny. Bob Rudbeck and I put Formica on the countertops.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s